Bedbugs biting Americans from coast to coast

"Numbers of bed bugs are doubling each year in the US, UK, and Europe. Did you know that bed bugs Bite?"

Bedbugs are back?! Why are bedbugs back? What does it mean? More on that in a minute, but first, the news:

Bedbugs have been plaguing people all across the United States lately. Thought of as a quaint and bygone problem of the Middle Ages, bedbugs are an insect that has been around for centuries, and carry the stigma of an unclean house. Since the bedbug infestation has shown up in Manhattan's Lincoln Center, in NYC fru-fru stores such as Bloomingdale's, and in Fifth Avenue apartments and dorm rooms of Ivy League Colleges and private schools, the stigma is particularly hard on the social upper crust to get over.

For some reason, there has been a huge surge in bedbug problems all across America over the last year or so, but it has been only the last few months that the outcry has been significant. Pest control places can't keep up. In a MyFox NY report we read that "Action Pest Control has been working night and day to rid clients of the pests. “The calls have just been out of control,” APC president John Russell said."

The infestation has been reported in Maine, where one case closed a school, and businesses report a surge in frantic requests just as in New York City.

In the American Midwest, the Resurgence of an age-old pest is driving Chicago buggy. In the south, in Georgia, "Bedbugs, on a comeback, pester locals." In Virginia, "hotel chains, private residences and at least one apartment building have had recent reports of the pests" and in Baltimore, MD  we are reminded us that bed bugs are "a pest once nearly eradicated in the United States. The recent comeback has left exterminators scratching their heads and Americans scratching everything else."

I'll be the first to say that I don't know what a bedbug outbreak means. At least from an end time standpoint, the bedbug issue isn't one that currently seems to be a precursor to Luke 21:11, "There will be great earthquakes, famines and pestilences in various places, and fearful events and great signs from heaven. When we think of pestilences, or plagues, we normally think of the usual plagues: locusts, bubonic, or the flu. That's what pestilences are. Definitions on the web range from a "usually fatal epidemic disease, especially bubonic plague," "any epidemic disease with a high death rate." Bed bugs do not qualify as a pestilential plague, unless, of course, you are the person being bitten every night.

From a psychological point of view, the one being bitten experiences all sorts of reactions. We read of Dana Strong in Chicago, who "lies awake every night wondering if bedbugs are crawling up her bed and onto her sheets. She scratches imaginary bites and tosses and turns on her new mattress, which has a plastic cover to keep out the bloodsucking parasites. "It's horrible," Strong said. "I haven't slept in weeks." Or of Deirdre Strout in Portland Maine who "was about to inspect an apartment for bedbugs Monday afternoon when a woman who was passing by saw Strout's Atlantic Pest Solutions van, stopped the car and jumped out. The woman, bags under her eyes from lack of sleep, pleaded with Strout to help her get rid of her own bedbug infestation. It's like that all day long, Strout said. "Portland's got a heck of a pocket going,"...

People jumping out of their cars to accost Pest Control workers and begging for help to rid their mattress of the bloodsucking bite-monger? Pretty severe. I imagine a nation of zombie-people plagued with no sleep, irritable, creeped out by blood sucking bugs crawling over them as they lay down on infested mattresses. The psychological effects of being crawled over and feasted upon are insidious, according to this article, based on a study by the Mayo Clinic:

"Bedbug victims can find the mental effects of infestation more insidious and longer-lasting than the physical ones. Along with her three college roommates, Megan McNeil of North Cambridge, Mass., went through the same arduous process Alyssa did to rid their four-bedroom apartment of bedbugs last month. "Our exterminator was great. He definitely talked me down from the ledge," said McNeil, 23, who graduated from Emerson College, near Boston, last spring. "I think the worst damage bedbugs do is psychological. You will never look at hotel rooms or secondhand furniture the same way again."

But God is creative and His thoughts are not our thoughts and His ways are not our ways. He is 19 million steps ahead of us and some how, some way, the bedbug infestation will combine with something else down the road. Or not, maybe it is just something small but significantly aggravating enough to remind us that we do not control nature, nor are we separate from it, that He is in control. One other definition of pestilences is, "a pernicious and malign influence that is hard to get rid of" and in that case, bed bugs definitely qualify!

Comments

  1. Yikes..I hope we don't get them. I do think of the passage in Revelation where people will seek death and not find it. There are dark days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you posted about this. I've been hearing about bedbugs an awful lot lately and I've been wondering about that same scripture reference if this could be another sign. As you said, we will see if this turns into something or not, but definitely interesting to keep an eye one (hopefully from a distance). ]

    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, I think you summed it up well in your last paragraph. Pestilence it is, and we just don't know how harmful it may turn out to be. Of course some pestilence (like flies) are just irratating.
    What is interesting to me is that these infestations are happening world wide. Why? How? I am not a bed bug expert but I don't think they migrate enmass like a swarm of locusts. What is scary is that they are blood suckers, just like the fleas which carried the plague.
    Who knows what kind of virus they may,(or soon)be spreading without our knowing. Only God knows of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's considered that these bugs are usually very small pests which can be tough to be viewed however , this really is really inaccurate since the grownup insect may be 0.5 centimeters in length and might be easily witnessed. Maybe they cannot be observed very easily as they are largely lively in the evening. And they also cease all their activities every time they feel really the affected person moves around, as an example. If you ever just want to discover more and learn methods to deal with the infestation, this post is the appropriate to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes it is a pestilence Riverside County and San Bernardino County California is infested

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes it is a testament San Bernardino and Riverside County California are having a epidemic and that was on the news..besides that I have moved 4 times in 3 years and have spent thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars buying new furniture new clothing pesticide hiring pest controll.nothing is working I have hundreds of scars now I used to have beautiful skin now I look like a freak with hundreds of scarseven on my face I am afraid and embarrassed to go into public now and there are only 10 units where I live and five of them are infested I have only lived here since April 23rd of 2013 and I have to do this all over again throw my furniture away are you cloths and move this is very aggravating against my marriage and my relationship with my children and my family I have actually lost friends because of this it is going on three years and I am NOT the only one who have had it longer than 2 years this is so aggravating aggravating and more aggravating I have now decided not to sleep at night and sleep what little bit I can during the dayso for anyone who thinks that these bugs are not a big deal then God be on your side and prayfully you will never have this war on your hands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try black flag, Home insect control 170oz black & yellow container it comes with a money back guarantee and it kills bed bugs, you can purchase the product at Lowes

      Delete
    2. I totally understand. Believe me.

      Delete
  7. I have dealt with them twice and as a result, I'm scarred for life. I believe that they are demonic. I'm not the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been searching for folks who understand this is a major thing and we had better take need.

      Delete
    2. I have been searching for folks who understand this is a major thing and we had better take need.

      Delete
  8. I am now on my second bed bug infestation, and threw all of my clothes furnishings, etc. away the first time. The second time (now) i am in a 92 year old Bldg in FL that was already heavily infested, the good news is, the slumlord just sold to a new company and said they will help me. I am physically scarred and already had emotional , auto immune and PTSD. I was suicidal and have now calmed down, but dont be fooled. THEY BITE me in Daytime too! I am terrified.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so annoyed reckoning, I just started getting them back in August of this year 2015, the only problem with me is that I'm going through it with my landlord blaming me of bringing them in his house, we'll actually he's not the owner a woman friend of his is he's just the Co owner, but u feel like he blames me from bringing them in and I've been living here for a year and a half now and just started getting them in August like really so help Lord it's nerve reckoning like I said. Have a good day you'll

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can pick them up anywhere in public. Doctors offices, restaurants, movie theaters, clothing stores, sporting events, your kids can pick them up at school, it's terrible. And they don't care what your status in life is. Or you live in low income housing, they can affect you. I have said it since 2010 that I truly believe this is an act of God to open our eyes. I believe that the hand of God is the only way that this book come under control.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a friend that had them and someone told her about a product called Diatamacous Earth. The website is www.healthworksearth.com Check out their website and read testimonials. She bought a book on their site and also called them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment