The Goodness of the Lord

"The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?" (Ps 27:1)

There's nothing like the Psalms for comfort. I first met the Lord as Light, and I gravitate to all the metaphors of Him as Light. Though to be sure, He IS the Light, and not just metaphorically on this side of earth. He will soon literally provide the only illumination: "The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp." (Rev 21:23)

In Psalm 27, David's unwavering confidence in the LORD in times of trouble or fear is a good example to us today. I awoke this morning to news that heavy fighting in occurring at the border of North and South Korea, and this on the heels of unexpected and unwelcome news this week that NK has an advanced nuke facility. Jesus told us that the run-up to the Tribulation would be fraught with wars and rumors of wars, and nation rising against nation and kingdom against kingdom. (Mt 24:6-7). These signs are even prior to the Second Seal judgment being unleashed which will take peace from the earth. (Rev 6:3-4)

I awoke to unwelcome news that food inflation is practically runaway. I didn't make this headline up from Yahoo Finance or rewrite it: "Why You Should Be "Extremely Scared" by China's Food Price Inflation". In the US, food stamp usage has climbed 60% since 2007. And this is even prior to the unleashing of the Third Seal Judgment which depicts food inflation (and currency devaluing) (Rev 6:5-6). There is plenty of news to worry about, I post enough of it here and on my emailed prophecy newsletter. But I do not worry.

"For in the day of trouble He will conceal me in His tabernacle; In the secret place of His tent He will hide me; He will lift me up on a rock." (Ps 27:5). We will be hidden in His tabernacle, when the Day of Trouble arises, we will be with Him in heaven. David was possibly referring to the incident in 2 Ki. 11:3 when Athaliah killed all the members of the royal family but Joash was hidden for six years. Even if the mention is David's literal recollection of how the LORD protects His own, it also has a future meaning. We will be in His tabernacle when the Day of Trouble comes. The Tribulation as it is known to Gentiles is known as The Time of Jacob's Trouble to the Jews, in Jeremiah 30:7. "Alas! for that Day is Great, so that none is like it: it is even the Time of Jacob's Trouble, but he shall be Saved out of it."

I do not worry.

"I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD." (Ps 27:13-14).

I am confident. I'm confident of His promises that we are not reserved for wrath (1 Thess 5:9) but are cleansed and righteous in His eyes. (Heb 10:14). I see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living, in His creation:




I see the goodness of the Lord in the quiet companionship of men:


I see the goodness of the Lord in one helping a child:


I see the goodness of the Lord in His warnings to us, because through them, sometimes repentance comes, and salvation:

He is my Light! And because I am in His Light, I can see where I am going. He responds to our cry, "Teach me your way, LORD; lead me in a straight path." Walk in His ways, and you will see the path made straight. You will be lifted up on the Day of Trouble. You will be above and away from your enemies, including that old enemy: sin. The news is dire and the world is ending, yet "Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD." He soon comes!

Comments