Finishing the race

Watch, it's 2 minutes. Then read, it's encouraging!


Heather Dorniden of Minnesota University raced the 600m at the Big 10 Indoor Track Championships. Her example can be used to remind us what a race really is about. What life in Jesus is really about, in truth. We will fall. We can get up. We finish. But what is your reaction to the fall? To rising up again? Therein lay the difference.

When you fell, did you stay down? Did you lay there? Did you give up?

Did you say "woe is me, I fell, I'm not worthy of Jesus"? There are many people who and engage in continued public self-flagellation in false humility, like the Pharisees.

When you got up, did you then trudge? Paul says do not trudge but spring up and finish the race! Have joy. The race is a "good" race! It is a "good" fight!

Jesus knows we are faulty, that we will stumble, that we fail. But He is there to lift us up, the Spirit is there to encourage us. "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us," (Ephesians 3:20). What awaits you when you arise is the Holy Spirit, there with hand extended, to help you immeasurably!.

We all fall, the joy is in the getting up and finishing.

Keep looking ahead to the finish line. A crown awaits. Our home in New Jerusalem awaits. Eternal joy awaits. Our Lord awaits. Get up, get up! Pilgrims, the time is short, whether through death or rapture, our time here is shortening daily. Spring up and with all joy and energy, run to the finish line!

"However, I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me--the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace." (Acts 20:24)

Will you be able to say "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith;" (2 Timothy 4:7)


Comments