Israel celebrates 66th year of independence, Israel's existence a fulfillment of prophecy

On 14 May 1948, after almost 2000 years, declared itself a nation.

"Who has heard such a thing? Who has seen such things? Shall a land be born in one day? Shall a nation be brought forth in one moment? For as soon as Zion was in labor she brought forth her children." (Isaiah 66:8)

The May 1948 re-birth of Israel is widely seen as a fulfillment of the above prophecy.

Much more lies ahead for His chosen nation. However, much history lay behind for the harlot nation known as Israel. Hosea 1:1-9 has the story

When the Lord first spoke through Hosea, the Lord said to Hosea, “Go, take to yourself a wife of whoredom and have children of whoredom, for the land commits great whoredom by forsaking the Lord.” 3So he went and took Gomer, the daughter of Diblaim, and she conceived and bore him a son.

4And the Lord said to him, “Call his name Jezreel, for in just a little while I will punish the house of Jehu for the blood of Jezreel, and I will put an end to the kingdom of the house of Israel. 5And on that day I will break the bow of Israel in the Valley of Jezreel.”

6She conceived again and bore a daughter. And the Lord said to him, “Call her name No Mercy, for I will no more have mercy on the house of Israel, to forgive them at all. 7But I will have mercy on the house of Judah, and I will save them by the Lord their God. I will not save them by bow or by sword or by war or by horses or by horsemen.”

8When she had weaned No Mercy, she conceived and bore a son. 9And the Lord said, “Call his name Not My People, for you are not my people, and I am not your God.”

Can you imagine anything worse than God saying He is not your God and He will not have mercy or compassion on you? No! It is a breathtakingly mournful pronouncement! It is a divorce that reverberates through the ages!

However, does the language in Hosea indicate that God has cast off His people? Never! Hosea goes on in verses 10-11

Yet the number of the children of Israel shall be like the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured or numbered. And in the place where it was said to them, “You are not my people,” it shall be said to them, “Childrene of the living God.” 11And the children of Judah and the children of Israel shall be gathered together, and they shall appoint for themselves one head. And they shall go up from the land, for great shall be the day of Jezreel.

Here is S. Lewis Johnson in a wonderful sermon on those verses, called "The Panorama of Divine Love". As much as the people of Israel had wandered away to other gods, as often as they rebelled, as much as they forgot Yahweh, God never forgets His covenant promises to His chosen people. As He told Abraham,

And he brought him outside and said, “Look toward heaven, and number the stars, if you are able to number them.” Then he said to him, “So shall your offspring be.” (Genesis 15:5)

And again in Genesis 22:17

I will surely bless you, and I will surely multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and as the sand that is on the seashore. And your offspring shall possess the gate of his enemies,


And the lesson for us is that of those He chose to be part of the Bride He will in no way forget either. His promises are true and His prophesies come to pass. Though after 70AD both kingdoms of Israel and Judah were trounced under the dust of Roman feet, and the temple destroyed, on the glorious Day of May 14, 1948, as Ezekiel had prophesied, the dried bones knit together and God in His timing declared a nation to be reborn, life entering their grave and a nation rose up--

So I prophesied as he commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they lived and stood on their feet, an exceedingly great army.

11Then he said to me, “Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel. Behold, they say, ‘Our bones are dried up, and our hope is lost; we are indeed cut off.’ 12Therefore prophesy, and say to them, Thus says the Lord God: Behold, I will open your graves and raise you from your graves, O my people. And I will bring you into the land of Israel. 13And you shall know that I am the Lord, when I open your graves, and raise you from your graves, O my people. 14And I will put my Spirit within you, and you shall live, and I will place you in your own land. Then you shall know that I am the Lord; I have spoken, and I will do it, declares the Lord.” (Ezekiel 37:10-14)

Despite the rebellion of His chosen people, He will enact His covenant, because He is a God of true promises and of mercy and forgiveness. Thank the Lord that His actions do not depend on us, a rebellious and adulterous generation of sinful people! He surely does not choose His own, Israel or Bride, based on merit!

Israel is still a nation of lost and wandering sheep. On His day they will mourn for the one they have pierced and declare Jesus as their Messiah, On that Day He will pour out His spirit and they will plead for mercy. (Zechariah 12:10). And the borders shall be enlarged and Jesus shall reign among them and they will have a kingdom of peace and prosperity.

"For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour out my Spirit on your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants." (Isaiah 44:3)

Sixty-six years ago next week, Israel was born. The LORD is great and His purposes come to pass. You can trust the LORD!!

"I, the LORD, have spoken and will do it." (Ezekiel 36:36b)

Israel marks 66th Independence Day with torch-lighting ceremony
The heart of the ceremony is the lighting of 12 beacons, one for each of the tribes of Israel. Every year a dozen Israelis are selected for this honor by a special committee.



Comments